In 2024, our place of worship will receive a refreshing musical boost! Three adventurous musicians are joining to accompany our soloists, speakers, and dedicated followers of the Eleventh Hour during the monthly Elfurenmis. Starting from February, percussionist Bert Peyffers (known from Ão and Wamaki’s), bassist Louise van den Heuvel (of Sonic Hug and Dishwasher), and pianist Andy Willems will let their harmony resonate in the Velinx.
Ekaterina Levental was born in Tashkent, the capital of Uzbekistan, a republic in the former Soviet Union. She studied singing at the Royal Conservatory in The Hague and harp at the Conservatories of Enschede, Detmold (Germany), and Rotterdam. She graduated cum laude with a master's degree in both disciplines. Ekaterina is currently building a career as an opera singer and theater performer.
She collaborates on productions with various opera houses and music theater companies and creates her own theater productions where she combines her talents and capabilities. She has worked as a soloist with opera and music theater companies such as De Nationale Opera, LOD Gent Belgium, Opera Trionfo, Jan Fabre/Troubleyn Belgium, Hollands Diep Dordrecht, Opera Spanga, Veenfabriek Leiden, Jeugdtheater Sonnevanck, Opera Nijetrijne, Holland Opera, Toneelhuis Antwerp, Silbersee, LeineRoebana, Diamantfabriek, and others.
In 2015, Ekaterina made her debut at the Nationale Opera in the role of Melibea in "Reimsreisje" (Il Viaggio a Reims) by Gioacchino Rossini. Her recent works include the leading role in the opera "Turan Dokht" at the Holland Festival (World Opera LAB), the opera "King Lear" (as Goneril) with Holland Opera, a tour with solo performances "De Weg," "De Grens," and "Schoppenvrouw" in Belgium and the Netherlands, and the role of 'Die Frau' in the opera 'Menuet' (LOD Gent).
Together with Chris Koolmees, Ekaterina develops various music theater projects under the name LEKS Compagnie, such as Pierrot Lunaire 2.0, La Voix Humaine FaceTime, and the autobiographical triptych De Weg – De Grens – Schoppenvouw.
Zana Hanafi is a dedicated human rights activist. Since 2019, she has been actively involved in storytelling about migration, primarily targeting educational institutions such as high schools, colleges, and universities. She collaborates with organizations such as School Without Racism and the Jesuit Refugee Service - Change program. She also played a significant role as the sole female representative of the campaign 'Ook Onze Mensen' (Also Our People). This campaign had a considerable positive impact in 2019, involving the reuse of posters from far-right parties and changing the slogan from "Alleen Onze Mensen" (Only Our People) to "Ook Onze Mensen" (Also Our People).
NEW HOUSE BAND
Bert Peyffers, better known as "Bert Skunk," is a talented Belgian percussionist who fell in love with the cajon at the age of 13. His skill and passion took him to the semi-finals of Belgium's Got Talent, where he shone as a solo artist. As a freelance percussionist and studio musician, he strongly believes in the connecting power of music. Bert is not only the founder of the 12-member musical collective Wamaki's but also currently tours Europe with the bands Ão & Vermin Twins.
The young Dutch bassist Louise van den Heuvel is on an unstoppable rise. This led to a carte blanche that she seized to bring together a completely new quartet, Sonic Hug, with young musicians who are currently making their mark on Belgian jazz.
With Dishwasher_ (winner of Jong Jazztalent Gent), van den Heuvel found herself at the forefront of a new generation of talents combining jazz playfully with other genres. She also made a big impression with Zwangere Guy and Lander Gyselinck and played with renowned artists like Bruno Vansina, Stéphane Galland, and Teun Verbruggen.
Pianist Andy Willems embraces an unlimited love for music, refusing to be confined to a specific genre. After his classical conservatory training under Alan Weiss, he obtained a second diploma as a jazz pianist at the Lemmensinstituut in Leuven. Andy feels equally at home in classical ensembles as on pop stages and jazz festivals. His versatile approach to music takes him wherever his passion leads him.
- 25.10De 11-urenmis met Rachida Lamrabet en Tutu Puoane
- 24.01Gender activist Emanuelle Verhagen and cellist Benjamin Glorieux (live + livestreaming)
- 07.03Biologist-sociologist Charlotte Prové and soprano Elise Caluwaerts livestream
- 24.10Ignace Schops and Gaetan La Mela
- 14.11Noël Slangen en Hrachya Avanesyan
- 05.12Hind Eljadid en Bert Cools
- 13.02De elfurenmis met Tom Hannes en Kim Van den Brempt
- 20.03The Elfurenmis (‘Eleven O’clock Mass’) with Christophe Busch and Carlo Nardozza
- 09.10Elfurenmis - Benjamin Glorieux&Emmanuelle Verhaegen
- 16.10Elfurenmis with Lennert Baert & Wim Distelmans
- 13.11Elfurenmis with Wouter Dewit & Chris De Stoop
- 11.12Elfurenmis met Claron McFadden & Naima Charkaoui
- 05.02Elfurenmis with Stien Carlier & Maya Van Cleemput
- 26.03Elfurenmis - Nabou Claerhout en Ramsey Nasr
- 30.04Elfurenmis with Philippe Thuriot & Jean Paul Van Bendegemc
- 15.10Elfurenmis met Erik Vlaminck en Maya Dhondt
- 12.11Elfurenmis met Gaea Schoeters en Els Mondelaers
- 18.02Elfurenmis with Adil Benhsain & Anneleen De Bonte
- 21.04Elfurenmis with Ekaterina Levental & Zana Hanafi
- 05.05Elfurenmis with Timo Tembuyser & Hind Fraihi
The Elfurenmis (‘Eleven o’clock mass’) is a concept developed by De VELINX and B-Classic in which classical music in the broadest sense of the word meets the ultimate lecture – a sermon. The backing band will be joined by a celebrated ...